Save money on custom drapes by making them yourself.
You don't have to be a seamstress. Start with a pair of inexpensive store
bought drapes, and then put custom touches on them. Add trim on the edges,
or add additional border fabric. You can glue on trim and alter the length
of drapes with iron-on hem tape. Add fabric to the hem with a simple
straight stitch by hand or machine.
Here are some more frugal tips to make your drapes look
- Cut the fabric off the bottom
of the drape and add a coordinating fabric.
- Add the coordinating fabric at
the top of the drape.
- Purchase a couple pairs of
drapes in different, but coordinating fabric, and cut them up and put them back
together to make stripes.
- Hang your drapes higher up on
- Extend your drapes wider on
- Embellish the rod with unique
- Check drapery outlets for
custom drapes on sale that you can alter to fit your window.